Saturday, April 3, 2010

Tacky Souvenir Challenge

This was created in 2002 in New York City.  We now stick by it everywhere we go.  Basically, for every city or major destination, I make it a point to find a cheesy tchotke indicative of the location.  I have a few basic rules:

1.  Item must be around $5-$10
2.  Item should have the location printed right on it (otherwise, I'll never remember where the hell that lighthouse shot glass came from).  The year is a bonus.
3.  The items should vary from location to location.  Otherwise, it will just be a collection of snow globes.
4.  The item should be unique, yet classic (for instance, I small metal Empire State Building, a rock from Alcatraz).
5.  The item should look groovy in the metal curio cabinet it will eventually reside in (still looking for that).

Right now, I have around a bookshelf's worth.  I'm hoping to proudly display them eventually in aforementioned cabinet.  Also, I'm still short on a souvenir from Newport, RI, so send me ideas if you think of any!

No comments:

Post a Comment